Okay, so this post is only for those of you who are obsessed with HP. I made this while I was waiting for my appointment, because I was really bored, didnt have WI-FI and suddenly inspiration came upon me.
So, what can I say. I am a very weird person. People think they know me – but they don’t. I dont make an impression of a “creative dork type” who is obsessed with books and tv-shows. But everyone has a different side, this time I finally decided to share this.
Of course, I have some secret HP Fanfics written but I never shared them. Party because I never finished them. This part is actually one of the chapters of the bigger stuff I am writing. Basically, I wanted to write a story about Greengrass sisters. There is been a lot written about Astoria, so my main focus is her older sister Daphne, but I can never skip some good Draco&Astoria. So, without further ado.
This is just a rough-draft version. Like very rough. I just wrote it down on my phone and saved in my notes. Feedback would be great though.
It was late. Almost 2 o’clock now. And the whole town was heavily asleep. Every tree, every stone, every bird, every little kid was under a sleeping curse. And only one person was wide awake. And she heard the whole house being sunken into a dream. She heard its heavy, slow breathe. It was so quiet that even a mouse wiggled its tail – she would have heard it.
Astoria Greengrass couldn’t fall asleep. Thoughts in her head were running crazy and she was far too excited and scared to even thought of dreaming. At first she was excited, almost daydreaming. But all the nasty things crept up on her after midnight. The fears, the doubts, the worst possible nightmares of her life. It all came down on her under a weight of the night, hiding its face in the darkness. She was terrified.
At first it was little things. Like Banshee witches and creepy things. Then it took forms far greater. Daphne being hurt and crying. Parents disappointed with her. But then she could almost hear the wedding bells in this silence. Which in a second changed to funeral bells and someone’s crying. Astoria came to an awe recognizing it. And the pale skin of her mother and father. The trembling voice of Daphne accusing her.
Suddenly that illusion faded giving its place to something else. Something dark. A figure in a tall, black gown, its face hidden under a hood. But she could see his pale hands, the wand in his long arms. And then, to her own shock she saw it. A picture of skull engraved into the skin. It glowed green and smelled rotten. But the worst was when the figure finally opened its hood revealing the face. Draco Malfoy was there, standing above her bed, crazy look in his eyes. He didn’t look like himself. He was a Death Eater. And he was going to kill her.
– Astoria, wake up!
– NO! – she screamed, one of her hands automatically defending her face, the other reaching for a wand. But his pale and strong hand has quickly stopped her arm.
– It was just a dream, calm down! You fell asleep. – he soothingly said and he cautiously and gently run down his hands on her arms. Her skin was so cold.
– More like a nightmare. I am sorry I fell asleep, I didnt even realize.
– Dont worry, we still have time, are you okay?
– Yes, I’m fine, Draco. – she pushed out a smile but he saw right through her. A concerned look on his face got even more concerned but that made Astoria feel a little better. He cared. He was still himself. And she believed in him despite almost everyone else turned their backs on him.
– Here, you’re freezing. – He said and covered her with a woolen blanket.
– Thank you.
– What was it? You look so pale and terrified, Astoria. You sure you want to do this?
Now that he asked her this question, she lost her confidence again. All these doubts have been creeping on her since the morning and she was feeling rather queasy but she was a good actress. She enthusiastically shook her head no trying to show her bravery.
– No way, I’m not backing off of this. I want to do this.
But not with him. Her tricks never worked on him.
– You are not fooling me Astoria Greengrass. What was it?
– It was nothing. I’m fine, really.
– Really? – the questioning look on his blue eyes was penetrating her. She let him sit next to her on bed. He sat on a corner.
– It was this nightmare – she sighed. She wanted to share it but she wasn’t sure she could tell this to Draco. But if she didn’t, she would be thinking about it the whole time.
– There all these terribly things. Things I was afraid of. My parents were dead. And Daphne hated my guts! And then…- her voice was cut-off, trembling. – You came… You were a Death Eater, Draco. – she finally said and fear was shaking her. He quickly and gently reached for her hand.
Draco didnt know answers to many things, but he knew that he loved this young lady. And he would do anything for her to be happy. Losing her would be like losing a part of himself. Yes, he could live without it. But he didnt want to. Because she brought in light and hope into his life. Astoria was the only person who believed in him and now her belief was somewhat shaken. This time it was his turn to be strong. To be optimistic.
– Astoria, I’m here. I’m not a Death Eater. Trust me, this is just all in your head. You’re stressed out.
– I know. It’s nothing, you know I trust you.
– Wait, listen. You were the one who drag me out of this shadow I’ve been living in for past couple years. I used to be everything you despised. People I thought were close to me turned their backs after war was over. And yet. You were the one to see the best in me. I haven’t changed. I’m the same. But I finally let go of the past. It’s over. I want to begin a new life with you, Astoria.
They sat in silence for a few short moments. She looked in his grey eyes, barely stopping herself from crying. Astoria was such a chicken. She would always blow this kind of crucial moments. Back out from making important decision and so on. But his speech made her feel better. More confident. He never spoke like that, anyway. Sometime she couldnt even get a few words out of him.
– Now, you’re talking. – she chuckled and hugged him.
– Yes, we can’t let anything come in the way. We’re finally going to be together. And I love you.
– I love you too. – He hugged her back but a sound from somewhere around the house made him regain his focus. – We need to go now, not much time left. Have you collected your things?
– Yes, I am ready – she only had the most important things. The letters, a family ring, an album and few other essentials. Those things were dear to her heart. She still felt a sting of the pain to be doing such a horrible thing to her parents. To Daphne. But somehow she was sure that Daphne will understand. Aren’t they sister, after all? She put on her dark-navy velvet gown, hiding her face under a hood. Draco took care of her belongings. He decided to give her a few moments by herself and went to the balcony.
– So, that’s it. – She wasnt sure how to say goodbye. Astoria was never good at farewells. This was the house she grew up in. And even though at times she hated it, for a second she wanted to go back being a reckless child again. When all of this didnt matter to her. When all she wanted to do is run around catching butterflies her dad made. Her parents. She did not want to think about how they’d react next morning when they won’t find her in her bed. Mother will be devastated. Father will just go deeper into himself. And Daphne will never be able to make him smile again. They’d never speak of her. And she’d always think of them with a flinch of pain. This young, 19-year silly old girl who was madly in love. And that was it.
She left her room, took him by the hand, meeting his eyes.
– I’m ready – she smiled, nodding. And in this fleeting moment before they dissolved into thin cold air, they shared a gentle kiss. Full of love and light and hope. Vanishing into forever.